Cincinnati officials said Wednesday they still do not know the cost of delaying work on the streetcar project for most of last month. They're still calculating that number and also the effect on the timeline to build the first phase.
Council delayed the project for several weeks before deciding on December 19th to let it move forward. Officials also say the cold weather has caused some delays.
The first actual streetcar will arrive in the city in March 2015.
Cincinnati Council will likely vote Thursday on whether the city's controversial streetcar project will continue.
Construction has been on hold since December 4th. Now the group will decide whether to let work resume or finally pull the plug on the plan.
So far the city has spent $34 million on the streetcar project. An independent audit firm reported Wednesday it will cost anywhere from $16 to $46 million to cancel the streetcar or about $69 million to complete it.
Mayor Cranley on his Facebook page says, at his request, the Federal Transportation Administration has decided to hold off on canceling the streetcar project until December 19 to allow city to make a final decision.
Update 12/4/13 9:00 PM:
Construction on most parts of Cincinnati's streetcar project will be coming to a halt. But that's not to say you won't see some workers on the job in parts of Downtown or Over-the-Rhine.
Five of the nine Cincinnati City Council members are expected to vote Wednesday to temporarily suspend work and spending on the streetcar project. That majority says the pause will allow leaders to figure out the true costs of cancelling the program compared to how much it would cost to complete the first phase of the project.
Council will vote on 11 streetcar related ordinances. They all contain monetary appropriations, which likely mean streetcar supporters cannot seek a referendum to overturn them.