Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said Friday discussions are still taking place on the future of the city's parking system. He announced his plan earlier this week that would keep the city in charge, upgrade all meters and use the additional revenues for basic services.
Cranley said the first step in the process is dropping or revising the previous parking lease agreement with the Greater Cincinnati Port Authority.
In an effort to stem the homicides that have plagued the city first the first of the year, Cincinnati police will increase police overtime, hire officers away from other departments, add a recruit class and revive a gang unit, Mayor Cranley and Police Chief Jeffrey Blackwell said this morning.
“We want people of this city to know that help is on the way,’’ Cranley said at a city hall press conference packed with neighborhood and community leaders, council members and police officers.
Cincinnati Council will likely vote Thursday on whether the city's controversial streetcar project will continue.
Construction has been on hold since December 4th. Now the group will decide whether to let work resume or finally pull the plug on the plan.
So far the city has spent $34 million on the streetcar project. An independent audit firm reported Wednesday it will cost anywhere from $16 to $46 million to cancel the streetcar or about $69 million to complete it.
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley, who campaigned and won on a promise to kill the $133 million streetcar project, cracked open to the door to a deal with streetcar supporters that could allow the project to go forward.
In a city hall press conference this morning, Cranley said he would work with streetcar supporters to find institutions or foundations in the private sector to pay the approximately $80 million it would take to maintain and operate the system.
It is not something the city can do without private help, Cranley said.